Monday, September 12, 2011

A Great First Week In Room 5

On the first day of school students graphed the contents of one bag of M&M's.

Although cut short by the blackout, our first week in Room 5 was a good one.  The behavior and academic effort of every student has been excellent.  Please thank your students for their hard work.

Birthdays
The school nurse has asked that our class not celebrate birthdays with food.  We have numerous students with allergy and diet restrictions and I fully stand behind the nurse’s request.  In the past I have celebrated student birthdays by having the other students in the class make and write cards for the student celebrating a birthday.  This type of recognition is really appreciated by the students, probably more so then food or cupcakes.  I will explain the process further during open house.

Daily Folders
Last week I gave each Room 5 student a daily folder.  These blue and clear plastic folders need to come to school every day with your child.

Parent Survey
Thank you for getting those parent surveys back to me so quickly.  I have a feeling that a few of you never received them, so I will begin sending home additional copies.  If you get a duplicate, do not fill it out, I only need one copy per family.

Contacting Me
As I mentioned in my first letter, always feel free to contact me with any question or concerns you have.  You can approach me in person before or after school or send a note in your student’s folder.  You also can email me, or leave me a voice mail at 858-453-2323 extension 205.

Curriculum Overview

Literacy - Reviewing the vocabulary needed to discuss fiction books: characters, setting, conflict/problem, resolution, climax

Math - Understanding place value into the hundreds, addition and subtraction

Writing - Writing about our lives with detail and expression

Language Conventions - Understanding when capital letters are needed in our writing

Art - A study of Pablo Picasso’s major artistic periods: The Blue Period, The Rose Period, Cubism, and Surrealism.

No comments:

Post a Comment